Thursday, July 3, 2008

Another good article...

I came across this one today. Some helpful suggestions for a Selectively Mute child at school...

http://www.acposb.on.ca/mutism.html

It suggests trying to have your child "mouth" the word. I don't know if she will try that in therapy or not but I'm going to bring it up. We tried about a month ago to get Payton to "blow" or make a noise (during therapy) and she wasn't ready at that point. Mouthing is silent though so maybe she'd be able to do it. I'm thinking about practicing at home and making it a game so maybe when we try it at therapy in a more anxious situation she'd be less anxious to try it. Mouthing would be excellent though for situations she doesn't have a pad of paper with her or she's trying to write something she can't spell. Mouthing is one step closer to whispering too...baby steps!

Still waiting on my new books! Hopefully they will be here today!

No comments: